I'm not a creative person, but really want to do more creative things with Big Girl, so I've been doing a lot of reading and came across something called "action cube". It was really easy to make. I didn't have any small boxes at home that were cube shaped, so I bought a set of 2 at the dollar store. You put one of six words on each side of the cube. On one cube I put the words - walk, run, hop, skip, jump, crawl and on the other one the words- fast, slow, backward, zigzag, sideways, accelerating. You roll both and see what combination you get. Big Girl loved it and it was a great way to burn off some energy on a rainy day.
I did impress myself with a game we played on the way home today. And it wasn't from a book. :-) Yep, I came up with it all by myself. I call it "Please Pass the ABC's". I would say her name and say "Please pass the ..." and say something that started with an "A". She would say "here you go." I would say "thank you, then she says "you're welcome". Then we would repeat with her turn, "Mommy, please pass the ... (something starting with a B). And we went through the whole alphabet, finishing with "Z" as we pulled into the driveway. We tried to keep it food related, but if we couldn't think of something we would just use anything that started with the letter we were on. When we got to "N" it was her turn and she asked me to pass "Nana". We got a good laugh out of that one! Anyways, I thought we could also do this at home and instead of doing the ABC's we could spread out on the table flashcards with sight words or numbers and pass those to each other.
Also we did a scavenger hunt today for the first time. It combined reading (because I made her read each of the clues) and number recognition (because she had to put them all in order at the end read the last clue and find out the location of her surprise).
I just love fun ways to learn!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Looks like it was a fun day there..you can be sure I will try that one in the days ahead;)Thanks for the idea...may you enjoy all that lies ahead!
ReplyDeleteThe video was so cute!!! Looks like the cubes did work out real well and Big Girl was having a great time with them. That was also a great game you came up with the ABC's. That was pretty creative if you ask me! That was funny about Nana. :) Also, the scavenger game sounded like fun.
ReplyDeleteSorry it has taken so long to respond. I love the ABC game. Great for in the car. The video is cute,she looks like she's having lots of fun. Great ideas!!! I like the scavenger game also.
ReplyDelete