Since I mentioned my doctor's appointment on yesterday's post, I thought I'd post an update. I actually had two doctor's appointments today - 1 with a hematologist (about my low platelet count) and 1 with my OB.
The hematologist said that I have Factor XI deficiency which is one of the many factors they tested for to determine what's causing my low platelet count. It's rare to have that kind of deficiency and even rarer for it to cause bleeding, but she thinks that is my problem. Basically she recommended that I get plasma when I deliver or very shortly thereafter. I don't really like that thought because there are risks since it is someone else's plasma, but the risks are minimal.
Then I went to see my OB today and I asked him if I could just do what I did last time at delivery instead of getting plasma. He didn't deliver our youngest, so he said he'd have to check the files and see what they gave me, but he thinks he knows what medication they used to help with clotting. It really did help last time around as that delivery and after delivery was so much better than the first two. Anyways, he's going to review my file once he gets the final report from the hematologist and then we'll discuss it when I go back next week. In terms of progress, the baby has dropped even lower and I am 1.5 to 2 cm dilated. I was only 1 cm last week, so at least I'm making a little progress. :-)
Lastly, there's a possibility that I will be induced next week (maybe Wednesday?) because although I'm not critical, the OB said that it would be ideal if I could deliver under controlled circumstances in case I do need plasma. We'll discuss next Tuesday at my appointment.
So that's where things stand.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

So glad we were able to talk on the phone about all this. Praying for the situation before you,and that God will undertake for your needs and that of the baby. Love you. Thanks for the update.
ReplyDeletePraying - Praying - Praying for all your issues at hand.
ReplyDeleteLove and prayers to you