Monday, July 23, 2012

Potatoes & "Da-da"

I haven't given an update on the garden in a while, so here it is.  We finished harvesting the broccoli in June.  We got green beans from one of our two rows in June, but the Mexican bean beetles got out of control and destroyed our other row.  We have one grape tomato plant and one regular tomato plant and they are producing well.  We have two cucumber plants which seem to be dying, but I am still getting cucumbers from them now.  Hubby dug up our first potatoes on Saturday.  There are still lots in the ground. This morning I washed the ones he dug up and will be making some kind of potato dish for dinner.

We are mostly over our sickness.  The kids are better, thankfully, but I'm still getting over it.  I got a fever Saturday night and was not feeling well yesterday.  I am actually feeling better as the day goes on today.

Baby Boy said "Da-da" for the first time.  Actually, the first time he said "Daddy", but then a couple more times on Saturday he said "Da-da".  Also he is definitely teething now!  He went from soaking the top part of his outfit maybe once during the day to soaking it within 30 minutes of having it on, sometimes less.  Guess it's time to pull out the drool bibs!


tomato plants
I tried to get a picture of her to show how dirty she got.  She was "helping" in the garden. :-)
So glad to see his smile again.  He didn't smile very much while he was sick.
picks/digs from Saturday

4 comments:

  1. Hi
    Nice garden, Are they Red potatoes? Is Grandpa girl sweating because it is hot?
    Love Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are red potatoes, and yes it was hot. I ended up having to shower 3 different times that day from being outside for different events. I think that's a record for the most showers I've ever had in a day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the joys of gardening. No matter how hot it gets,you have to be out there looking after it and picking the produce. I do not envy you the job of doing that. The produce looks good though!
    Ah... nice Daddy gets to hear his boy say da-da,and I'm glad he's smiling once again too. I didn't realize that you were not well either Jess,I thought it was just the kids. Thankful you are all getting over whatever you had.
    Love the pictures of garden/Hubby/kids,and produce.
    Love you all so much,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! For a first time gardening, you all have done very well!! Your potatoes look really good. Thanks for sharing your tomatoes and cucumbers. They were really good, too!!! :-)

    So glad all of you are feeling better. Glad the sickness passed fairly quickly.

    Loved all the pictures! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete