I was reminded today of the brevity of life. I found out this morning that a co-worker of mine passed away yesterday afternoon. I'm shocked. She was only in her 40's and she just found out last week that she had leukemia and went out on disability. It just seems to have happened so fast. I had been waiting to hear what hospital she was in so I could send her a card (she's in another state) and was praying that God would give me the words and the verses to share with her in that card so that I could be a witness to her. Now it's too late! The saying "Only one life will soon be past, only what's done for Christ will last" came to my mind. I had to look up the poem. I didn't realize it had so many stanzas. The whole poem is a good reminder of what we should be doing with our lives while we are here on this earth.
Only one life, yes only one,
Soon will its fleeting hours be done;
Then, in ‘that day’ my Lord to meet,
Then, in ‘that day’ my Lord to meet,
And stand before His Judgment seat;
Only one life,’ twill soon be past,
Only one life,’ twill soon be past,
Only what’s done for Christ will last.
Only one life, the still small voice,
Gently pleads for a better choice
Bidding me selfish aims to leave,
Bidding me selfish aims to leave,
And to God’s holy will to cleave;
Only one life, ’twill soon be past,
Only one life, ’twill soon be past,
Only what’s done for Christ will last.
Only one life, a few brief years,
Each with its burdens, hopes, and fears;
Each with its clays I must fulfill,
Each with its clays I must fulfill,
Living for self or in His will;
Only one life, ’twill soon be past,
Only one life, ’twill soon be past,
Only what’s done for Christ will last.
When this bright world would tempt me sore,
When Satan would a victory score;
When self would seek to have its way,
When self would seek to have its way,
Then help me Lord with joy to say;
Only one life, ’twill soon be past,
Only one life, ’twill soon be past,
Only what’s done for Christ will last.
Give me Father, a purpose deep,
In joy or sorrow Thy word to keep;
Faithful and true what e’er the strife,
Faithful and true what e’er the strife,
Pleasing Thee in my daily life;
Only one life, ’twill soon be past,
Only one life, ’twill soon be past,
Only what’s done for Christ will last.
Oh let my love with fervor burn,
And from the world now let me turn;
Living for Thee, and Thee alone,
Living for Thee, and Thee alone,
Bringing Thee pleasure on Thy throne;
Only one life, “twill soon be past,
Only one life, “twill soon be past,
Only what’s done for Christ will last.
Only one life, yes only one,
Now let me say, “Thy will be done”;
And when at last I’ll hear the call,
And when at last I’ll hear the call,
I know I’ll say ‘twas worth it all”;
Only one life,’ twill soon be past,
Only one life,’ twill soon be past,
Only what’s done for Christ will last.
poem written by C.T. Studd – missionary

Jessica, I'm so sorry to hear of the death of your co-worker. She was young. I'm sorry you didn't have the opportunity to share the good news of Christ with her.
ReplyDeleteThat is a great poem, and yes a good reminder for us all in how we should be living our lives daily with eternity in mind and the treasures we lay up. Thanks for sharing Jess.
Love Mom
Also sending Anniversary wishes to your Mom and Dad on their 38th special day. Love to you both!!
PS. Just remembering Pastor Howard always quoting that. "Only one life will soon be past,only what's done for Christ will last" Just thought I'd share that.
ReplyDeleteLove Mom
So sorry about your co-worker. Sometimes events happening like that can leave quite an impression on you and they do make you realize how short life is. Your dad and I had that happen years ago with a close friend dying who was a little younger than we were at the time. It really hit us hard because we felt that he would be healed of the cancer but it wasn't in God's plan. We can trust God's ways are always perfect! Thanks so much for sharing the wonderful poem, Jess! We often only see or hear the last two lines of it so it was great to read the whole poem!
ReplyDeleteSpecial thanks to "Mom" for their kind anniversary wishes and and our love to them!
Love you all