My dad sent me an article recently about vitamin D deficiency and how common it is to be deficient. The main reason, we are not getting enough sun and when we are in the sun, we lots of times are wearing sunscreen and not getting the benefits of the sun. I've also heard a lot about this on the news lately. One thing I find interesting that was pointed out in the article, is that flu, colds, and just sickness in general is more prevalent in the winter than the spring and summer. Ok, that I knew. But I never connected it to the sun and not getting enough sunlight (which is the main way we get vitamin D). So, I am going to try to get the girls outside in the sun for 20-30 minutes a day, at least 4 days a week. Baby is going to have to be exposed a little more gradually because she is so fair.
So yesterday we ended up spending an hour outside in the afternoon. Big Girl's favorite thing to do outside is clean. I had a couple of scrub brushes on the patio from when I cleaned out her little pool, so she picked them up and started cleaning her pool, her car, and her little house. I hope the excitement and joy of cleaning continues on throughout her life and isn't just a phase. :-)


It is good for kids to be outside in the fresh air and have a chance to run around and play,even in the winter months.A person just needs to use common sense.
ReplyDeleteHi Jess. In the midst of my perusing of the Web this evening, I came across an article from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine that I thought might be interesting to you. Here's the link: http://www.aecom.yu.edu/home/news.asp?id=392
ReplyDelete